Saturday, November 7, 2015

Further Thoughts Along the Journey - Verse 9 - Knowing When to Stop


     I have often overdone, over thought and tried too hard.  In my pursuit of perfection, I have forced, coerced and striven far beyond what was necessary.  In doing so, many a  project was inelegantly expressed, artlessly overwrought.

     I am learning my lesson as stated in this 9th verse of the Tao Te Ching.  Applying this wisdom in my everyday activities has been a real eye opener.

     Sculpting has helped me a great deal.  I can see it easily and the material shows me so when I have done too much and made a needlessly detailed piece.  The lines that are beautiful are simple and plainly realized, more profound and meaningful.

     Learning to apply this wisdom in relationships is something else again.  I've become more of a listener, sometimes a captive one, to others views, problems and dramas.

     It is fruitless to try and reciprocate, for I have learned I have no need to explain, impress or assert my views when confronted with an individual so in need of validation.  I would rather cherish the insights gained through painful life experiences and know in my heart I am loved just as I am.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment